Installing and Configuring Symantec for Windows Vista
Preparation and Download
- Log into your machine with an account that has administrative privileges.
- Go to BevoWare and download the appropriate version of Symantec AntiVirus (SAV) for your version of Vista.
- Close all programs on your machine, so that you won't lose work when you restart the machine during this installation.
- Uninstall all other anti-virus applications, including previous versions of Symantec. Installing over old versions can cause the new version to not work correctly.
- Disable your firewall program.
- Double-click the installer. A winzip window opens.
- Click Unzip.
- Click Install.
- Click Next.
- Click I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.
- Click Complete, and then click Next.
- Click Unmanaged, and then click Next.
- In the Protection Options panel, do the following:
- Ensure that Auto-Protect is checked.
- Ensure that Run LiveUpdate is checked.
- Ensure that Disable Windows Defender is checked.
Schedule the anti-virus program to check for daily updates of virus definition files so that your computer will always be able to identify the newest viruses.
- Double-click on the Symantec AntiVirus icon in the Windows task bar (if the icon is not in the task bar, open the program from the Start menu).
- Click File, then click Schedule Updates.
- Select the Enable automatic scheduled updates checkbox.
- Click Schedule.
- You can also manually run LiveUpdate at any time. Click LiveUpdate from the main program window, or click File and select LiveUpdate.
You can schedule three types of scans. This procedure describes setting up a Weekly Scheduled scan, but the process is very similar for Startup scans (defined scans that occur when you start your system) and Custom scans (defined scans that are only run manually).
To schedule weekly system scans:
- Double-click the Symantec AntiVirus icon in the Windows task bar (if the icon is not in the task bar, open the program from the Start menu).
- In the left column, double-click Scheduled Scans, then click New Scheduled Scan.
- Enter a Name for your scan, then click Next.
- The Enable scan checkbox is checked by default. Select the Weekly option.
- Enter the time the scan should occur, then click Next.
- Select each disk or drive (volume) you want to scan.
- Click Save to store your scheduled scan, or Options to modify scanning options and actions.
- To edit the settings later, click the name of your scan in the left column, then click Edit in the right side of the window.
- To run a scheduled scan immediately, double-click its name in the left column.
Although it is not required, you can set a number of other options within Symantec AntiVirus.
File System Auto-Protect
These options specify what types of files should be scanned all the time, and what should happen when the program detects an infected file.
To set real-time virus options,
- Click Configure, then select File System Auto-Protect.
- Click Actions. You can specify different actions for macro viruses (such as worms that e-mail your entire address book or infect Microsoft Word documents) and non-macro viruses:
- Clean risk removes the virus, but leaves the file intact.
- Quarantine risk moves the file into a protected area. To view quarantined files, click View, then Quarantine.
- Delete risk removes the virus and deletes the infected file.
- Leave alone writes to the log file, but does not remove the virus or file.
Heuristics are internal program rules used to filter files and messages for viruses. Rather than looking for specific viruses, the program applies a set of rules to e-mail messages to see whether they fit the pattern for spam and viruses. You can specify stricter or looser rules. Stricter rules mean that more messages will be identified as potential problems, but this setting could increase the chance of false positives. Looser rules mean that more spam and viruses may slip through.
- Click Configure, then click File System Auto-Protect.
- Click Advanced, then click Heuristics.
- Ensure that Enable Bloodhound is checked.
- Choose Minimum, Default, or Maximum detection levels.
Microsoft Exchange Auto Protect
You can configure the scan to automatically send a customized message to any person who sends you an infected e-mail.
To set real-time Exchange options:
- Click Configure.
- Select Microsoft Exchange Auto-Protect.
Click History to view virus, scan, and event history logs. These files track the results of all scans, updates, detected viruses, and actions taken by the program.