How to Find the MAC-Address
If you are having issues connecting to the Internet, you may be asked to provide your device's MAC address. A MAC address is a unique hardware identifier for your Ethernet wired or wireless card, which is assigned by the manufacturer of the hardware. If your computer has both an Ethernet interface and a Wireless interface, each will have its own unique hardware address.
A MAC address is in the form of a 6-byte hexadecimal number (ie: 01:2B:3C:D4:11:FD). Each byte is written as two hexadecimal digits, so there are twelve hexadecimal digits. Each hex digit is a number from 0-9 or a letter from A-F (case insensitive).
Below are ways of finding the MAC address from a Windows or Mac OS X computer:
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- Click the Start button.
- In the Search box, enter the following then press the Enter key:
- At the DOS prompt, enter the following then press the Enter key:
- Your machine's Ethernet or Wireless hardware addresses are listed as the Physical Addresses.
- If your machine has both an Ethernet and a Wireless connection, two Physical Adresses will be shown in different sections. The wired MAC address is listed under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection and the Wireless MAC address will be listed under Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection.
- To close the Command Prompt window, enter the following at the C:\> prompt then press the Enter key:
Mac OS X
- Make sure that the network interface you're interested in is part of the current location, and is turned "on":
- Open the System Preferences application in the Apple menu.
- Click the Network icon in the System Preferences application.
- The Network pane of the System Preferences application displays a Location pop-up menu near the top of its window. Make sure it it set to Automatic
- In the left pane, click on the device you want.
If you need the wired ethernet MAC, click on 'Ethernet'
If you need the wireless ethernet Mac, click on 'Wi-Fi'
- Click on the Advanced button.
- Click on the Hardware tab.
- The MAC Address is listed in the MAC Address field.
If you have any questions or need help with any other types of devices, please contact the ITS Help Desk.